Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > DesignerMixes.org > Site Suggestions > Breeders

Breeders

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
sands904
Contact Me
So, yesterday I received a somewhat nasty email from one of our former members berating our site for not allowing breeders to post dog's for sale on it. While some of you might know we used to allow breeders to list Dogs for Sale on our site but after several complaints and much research on my part I decided it was in the best interest of the dogs and our site to no longer allow them to be posted. I do understand that many people probably come to our site looking for a puppy to purchase but we have no way to verify the integrity of the ads or breeders posting them. I started this site not just as a community for dogs and dog lovers but as a way to provide information out about mixed-breed and designer dogs along with health, training, etc. and to allow owners to connect with other owners. As the person pointed out we may be losing out on new members because of this decision. I am okay with that. I just wanted to reach out to our member community and get your input on this topic. My intention is not to push good and ethical breeders away but to maintain the integrity of our Community and not become part of the problem when it comes to Backyard Breeders and Puppy Mills. Besides being a web designer I am a passionate dog lover and aspiring trainer. As such I do a ton of reading and research about dog health, nutrition, behavior, etc and this has become a topic that is very near and dear to my heart. I adopted my third dog Lance from our local shelter. Perhaps my passion for trying to help shelter dogs find homes and keep more from making it there has taken me too far to one side in regards to this topic. Again any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

traceyck
Contact Me
I think it is a good idea to avoid posting for sale ads. There are plenty of other sites out there for that. I joined this site after we got our first designer mix (Batty a Taco Terrier). We got lucky with him and I like to share that. Stick to your guns!
elvisandmojo
Contact Me
I bought the boys from a breeder who advertised in our local newspaper. Visiting this site and seeing the breed was what helped to make the sale for me. I guess we were fortunate but I have heard too many horror stories regarding the puppy mills and backyard breeders. As a site manager, qualifying these individuals should not be an additional burden. I would lean toward saying "no" and keeping the forum for owners.
annette1752
Contact Me
I subscribed to this site after I got my Papitzu for the purpose of interacting with others who also have mixed breeds. I think you did the right thing in saying you weren't going to allow ads for sales of dogs, especially because, as you pointed out, you have no way of checking the integrity of these ads and unfortunately, there are people out there whose sole purpose in life is to "pull a fast one" on others. Stick to your guns is right!
sands904
Contact Me
Thank you all for your wonderful replies. I am going to stick with my guns. I really had no intention of allowing breeders to advertise I just wanted to reach out to the community and get your input about this as well. I am glad to hear at least those of you who replied are in agreement that we can build a wonderful community without allowing advertising. If you ever have any suggestions about what we can do to make this a better site please do not hesitate so send a suggestion!
ChristineG6
Contact Me
I completely agree with this decision. Don't know why breeders want a piece of the action on every pet site there is! Yes there are more than enough sites where you can find breeders/pets for sale. I think that this site should stay as it is.
Hannah32198

Thank you for removing the ads. They really got on my nerves.
emgerber
Contact Me
I totally agree with your comments. I am here to learn and talk with other Designer Dog owners. There are many other sites available for breeders.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund