Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Health > Health Concerns > scooby puking after swimming

scooby puking after swimming

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
scoobydoo
Contact Me
Scooby went to the quarry today.  We have gone there before, the water is very clear and smells okay.  He loves to swim and has a great time. He vomited his breakfast up and then bile, i was wondering if he is swallowing water when he swims or if i should not feed him breakfast when we go was it too much exercise after eating?  I think previous times he ate after swimming when we were there.

emgerber
Contact Me
I never fed my dog before swimming and have never had a problem with throwing up.

I sure hope the water is clean, water can look and smell clean but still not be safe.

My dog only swims where the water gets tested regularly by the Health Department.
scoobydoo
Contact Me
scooby seems fine now, it must have been that i fed him beforehand. I only have a few options of places to go to swim with a dog in this area and this seems the safest one.  this is a quarry that the municipality has turned into a recreational area. I dont know if the water is tested but i do know that the other places i can go is the st lawrence river and it is tested and is filthy, you smell and get rashes from going in there and they say it is okay. He is recovering from his surgery of his luxating patella and i am trying to build up his leg muscles in a gradual and gentle manner as well as help him deal with the extreme heat we are having. Thanks for the prompt response, i really get worried sometimes perhaps out of context.
emgerber
Contact Me
|I think we worry because we love our dogs so much and because they cannot tell us when something is wrong so it is a guessing game. I hope all goes well. I also know I am lucky to live by a lake that is regularly tested and my dog can swim there as much as she pleases. Keep me updated on your dogs recovery.
scoobydoo
Contact Me
just wanted to give an update about scooby and the quarry. He seems fine now and we have gone a few times since, I spoke to the vet about it and she suggested he not drink too much water and then exercise, particularly do not give him cold water, as his stomach can twist.I used to freeze water bottles and bring them with us. Now what i have been doing is letting him play for a bit, then he has to have rest for a bit, then play again. I find if he has his lifejacket he doesnt seem to swallow as much water as well. I thought swimming was a gentle way to exercise but she says it can be quite strenous and i need to watch he doesnt overdo things.
emgerber
Contact Me
Interesting. I was talking to my daughter about her labs and swimming as they are in the water all the time. She said one summer one of her labs actually sprained its tail and it took 2 weeks before the dog could lift its tail. Who would have thought a dog could sprain its tail.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund