Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Training > Behavior > growling when taking a rawhide bone

growling when taking a rawhide bone

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
Linda78
Contact Me
Edward will be 7 months in a couple of weeks. Lately, when we try to take a rawhide from him, he growls and clamps down on it and pushes our hands away. I've tried offering him a treat instead and, that worked a couple of times. I can take just about anything away from him except the rawhides. Any suggestions how to stop this behavior or do we just stop giving him the bones? Other than this one bad behavior, he's a good dog..

sands904
Contact Me
I would continue offering him a treat or another toy (another rawhide would be good) to get it away from him. Make a game of it. Sit on the floor with him when he has the rawhide and show him the other one. Hopefully he will be interested enough in the new one to leave the other one behind. Give him the new one and pick up the old one and hide it behind your back. Give him a couple of seconds to sniff and play with the one you just gave him and then bring the other one back in sight. He should show interest in that one again and leave the other one. Continue to play this game a few times a day. Once he gets the idea you can put a command to it like 'Trade', 'Drop It', 'Give It', etc. Then start using the command when he leaves the one rawhide and goes for the on in your hand. After a few sessions with the command try giving the command before you show him the other rawhide and see if he leaves the other in anticipation. That is the goal, for him to let you take something from him on command. Be sure to be careful we do not what him to bite you in the process. If he is too possessive over the rawhides at this point you may want to teach him the 'game' with another type of toy until he gets the idea. Hopefull it won't take too many weeks and he will be giving them up freely. After that you should continue to 'test' him every once in a while to make sure he doesn't become over possessive again. Walk by him and try to take it from him. If he gives it freely pet him tell him he is a good boy and give it right back to him. Hope this helps! Best of Luck!
Linda78
Contact Me
any other suggestions?? he is SO bad lately when we try to get something from him. It's like he gets possessed and, won't give it up. Last night again, he got something from the bathroom wastebasket. daughter picked him up to try to get it. all the while he's chomping and snarling. I came in, and offered him a treat to which he dropped it finally. I feel that I rewarded the bad behavior though. After that, he went back to being sweet again.... maybe we need to take him to a behaviorist?? Hope all is well with your "crew"!
sands904
Contact Me
Hello, we are all doing pretty good here! Sounds like Edward is being a puppy though [:D]. I would suggest playing the Give/Take game with him 2 to 3 times a day. Get two toys (preferrably they same if possible). Give him one toy and keep the other behind your back. Give him a few seconds to get interested in the toy he has then show him the other toy (the one behind your back). He should show interest and sniff the new toy and drop the old toy when he does release the new toy and pick up the one he dropped and put it behind your back. Continue this for 5 to 10 minutes. When he is consistantly dropping the toy in his mouth upon seeing the new toy start saying 'drop it' as he opens his mouth. Keep working with this and start saying the cue earlier and earlier (gradually). Eventually you should be able to say 'drop it' before showing him the new toy and he will drop it. Start this with toys that he doesn't value too much (ie: guard) and gradually work up to the toys that he values highly (ie: rawhides). Best of Luck!
sophiesmom
Contact Me
Sophie does the same thing. If she has something and I am loving on her, she will growl and has even snapped at me a few times. I very quickly and loudly tell her no until she gets the idea and try to take it away from her. Afterwards she will slowly climb on my lap and get all lovey. She does this with the cats and Roody also. We are always "debating" about who's the boss. I have never seen such a stubborn pup.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund