Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > General Topics > Q & A > Longterm pros and cons of neutering/spaying

Longterm pros and cons of neutering/spaying

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
primal
Contact Me
Recently the question of spaying/neutering and age came up and I just wanted to post an article(pdf) I found on the NAIA(National Animal Interest Alliance). [url]www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf[/url] in case I am not allowed posting direct links.. xxx.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

emgerber
Contact Me
Thanks I will check it out.
primal
Contact Me

Hope you find it as interesting as i did.

I admit I did post it because as much as i respect vet's and what they do, i do not like hearing that people place blind faith in everything they say.. and that goes the same for doctors or any other profession.

emgerber
Contact Me
You are so right with that statement. I do not always go with the first thing my Doctor or Vet says. I always ask many questions? I always want to know what other alternative are available. Sometimes I will even do some research on a topic so when I talk with a professional I have some knowledge and am not going in blind. Both my Doctor and Vet have gotten to know me and now when I have an appointment for an issue they offer me options to discuss and chose from.
primal
Contact Me
That is the best way to be for sure, i'd love to hear what you think of the article if/when you have time:)
emgerber
Contact Me
This was an interesting read. Articles like this can slant research information in any direction. To get a true sense of what is reported you would really have to read the research information. There were many questions that arose when reading the article that needed to be answered or at least mentioned. How many dogs were in the research, what were the environments these dogs lived in, what countries, what other factors in the dogs history could have contributed to these findings. All surgeries do present risk both for humans and animals and the choice would have to be based on what you are able to live with. There are many other factors that would also impact your decision to go this route or not. When reading the article it presented more question for me than answers. It is important for us to think outside the box or outside our comfort level and to challenge the normal. Thank for asking my opinion.
primal
Contact Me

Thanks so much for taking the time to post, I just think it's a good issue to bring up especially for first time dog owners or for people who just don't have the time to give it the thought it deserves. Like everything involving medicine, my greatest fear is that what ever is easiest, fastest and least questionable becomes the 'norm', we only ever hear about the reality much later after years more research is done. I don't have a problem with questioning tradition and even though there are questions yet unanswered I do prefer to ere on the side of caution.

cheers:)

emgerber
Contact Me
Your comment is so right on. We are a society of just going along with what everyone else is doing or saying without even questioning is this right or wrong, or a good thing or a bad thing. Neutering/spaying your dog is not something that should just be done or not done. This is a medical procedure that has risk and you need to be very clear in my mind why you have chosen the route you have gone. Hopefully your posting will make people stop and think it through before making a decision.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund