Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > General Topics > General Discussions > Bullkita, Need advice, even non bullkita owners.

Bullkita, Need advice, even non bullkita owners.

Replies: 1 - 15 of 15
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
hettybandit
Contact Me
Hi im heather, im a first time bullkita owner, i have had a bulldog before and a bordeaux, but this breed is extremely new.. i got him when he was 6weeks old pick of the litter, and wow i now know the cutest dont stay the cutest! He terrorises my house, i cant leave things on the kitchen worktop because its gone in 2seconds, anything that fits in his mouth he eats, he barks alot, and seems to think being naughty is fun. but as soon as hes outside hes brilliant, stays by you off the lead runs off then runs back, hes great so i can only assume hes attention seeking because hes not outside, i love him to bits and yes he is driving me mad at the moment as i have 2 kids so until he calms down he has to stay in the kitchen until theyre in bed.. my question is, how did you train a whirlwind dog? how old were they? and will getting him neutered actually make a difference?? Any advice would be amazing!! thanks all you mix owners, its nice to see a bunch of people who dont breed a dog till they have problems! :)

Heather

corky95621
Contact Me
i comented on your other post but forgot to mention.....START TRAINING THE MOMENT YOU BRING HIM HOME!!! there are tons of books and videos on youtube that can help you in your training. i also recommend getting him a kennel that can be his bed and it makes it easy with potty training. look up Victoria Stilwell, she is AMAZING! her show is called its me or the dog on animal plannet and she is just an amazing trainer.
hettybandit
Contact Me
i have seen her show and i do agree shes brilliant. im a big fan of ceaser milan too. i think hes unreal. i did start training him as soon as he came home, he sits, and gets down when told he just doesnt stay down, all i want is him and the kids in the same room and him not jumping all over them, me and my partner both have a past of big dogs, but were both scratching our heads with him as some days hes brilliant others hes 10x worse, this morning i woke up to my kitchen lino pulled up and chewed and a carrier bag ripped up all over which was no where in sight when id left him so god knows where hed found that, we used to crate him, but found he wined all night, he is already toilet trained so thats not an issue, he doesnt whine when hes left in the kitchen with a baby gate up, i just wake up to things which i have to piece back together to find out what they were! lol x
corky95621
Contact Me
yea puppies can be difficult! mine chewed a hole in my wall by the front door (digging his way out i presume) lol. just becareful he is not swallowing certain things. i once had a min pin that i had to keep locked up in the kitchen and i had a wire door put up that almost reached the ceiling. i left, came home and found my living room destroyed (she climbed all the way up and over) and when i went to find her, she was back in the kitchen.....LOL she thought she was being clever but it was obvious she had gotten out haha. dogs do the darnest things. i once had a pitbull puppy for a short time (till she was 4 months) and i use to put a ticking clock next to her kennel and it kept her quiet all night. plus i had her kennel in my room so that she could see me and not be scared. i do recommend looking up akita's cuz they can be a very difficult breed.
hettybandit
Contact Me
haha ee sorry but that made me giggle, hes fine on a night now, and is slightly too big for his crate now so only goes in it when im cleaning the floor. theres a bloke up the road from me with an akita, and hes said theyre head strong dogs, i just wish hed be a bit calmer when the kids are around. hopefully he'll grow out of it. and calm down alot when hes neutered.
corky95621
Contact Me
lol that's fine i still giggle when i think about that crazy min pin! im sure he will calm down soon enough. just when he jumps up turn around and put your back to him and cross your amrs and just keep doing it and dont look at him. and then once he figures out that jumping is getting him nowhere and he sits or stops. turn around and give him praise and attention :D should help. also have the kids do it as well.
hettybandit
Contact Me
yeah i will do :) cheers for your help.. how was your xmas anyway?
corky95621
Contact Me
it was good. we didnt set up a tree cuz buster is just a pup and is REALLY into sticks lol. so we stayed away from that this year so his first xmas wasnt as showy as i would have liked it to be but he still got tons of presents! next year we will have the whole shibang! he is now 7 months old :D how was your xmas?
hettybandit
Contact Me
Yeah it was brilliant, my sons just gone3 so fully understood about santa this time, we had a tree up just got very warey when the dog was in the room with it! lol
emgerber
Contact Me
Interesting discussion about the Christmas tree. My dog has never even give the tree any thought. She actually walks around it but even as a puppy she was not the least bit interested. When I got my puppy we started training right away and it was allot of work but you end up with a dog you can totally trust. I actually took my dog to obedience training when she was very young and I have never had anything damaged or destroyed in my home.We did what Courtney is suggesting to stop the jumping up and it works perfectly as long as you do it every time, we even asked our friends to  turn away and it did not take long to stop the jumping up. I love puppies they challenge you but are worth every moment.
hettybandit
Contact Me
unfortunately for me i dont have the funds for dog training, which isnt great. he doesnt jump at people so much.. its my worktops so i cant leave anything on them. as for the christmas tree he was good but had the occasional jump at it to chase the decorations lol.
emgerber
Contact Me
There are lots of great training books available at the library and there are some great resources on training skills on the internet. I have even watches some good stuff on You Tube. I have seen some great train stuff on 'NO means NO' once your dog understand this concept you have it made.
hettybandit
Contact Me
yeah he completely takes no for YES at the minute!! ive tried alot of things, even ceaser milans tap and noise method. i think even him being the great trainer he is would struggle with bandit ! lol. infact id love to get in contact with ceaser milan,. im sure hed be amazing at giving me some advice !
emgerber
Contact Me
This is what I did. In the beginning it is allot of work but worth it. When you say NO and he obeys you reward him with praise and a treat, when he does not obey you go to him and remove him what you said no to you say nothing. This will teach him if he stop when asked her gets a reward and if he does not stop he will be made to stop but no reward. In order for your dog to understand No means 'no right now' he get only one chance before you make him obey. This way he will learn when you ask it is on the first request not the 2nd  or 3rd but only on the first. Once he starts to obey regularly you start to phase out the treat. It is also important that everyone in your house does this training the same way. It is truly work but so nice when you can say NO and they just walk away.
hettybandit
Contact Me
Yeah ill give that a try, hopefully he'll listen it must be boredom in the house cos when i took him out earlier he walked by me pushing the buggy and walked like a pro but when hes in the house hes a nightmare.
emgerber
Contact Me
Sometimes when you get this kind of behavior it means the dogs is not getting enough exercise to burn off all the energy they have. I know you dog can get very demanding of my time and attention if she has not had enough exercise. Just remember things to not happen over night it take time, patience and consistency.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund