Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Member Specific > New Members > Can you teach an old dog new tricks?!

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?!

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
Xninasaurusrex
Contact Me
Hi, new member here!

My name is Nina, and one of my dogs is an adopted 7 year old Chorkie. He's been through many abusive homes, and has his teeth kicked out and a broken nose. He seems to have adapted well to me and my husband, but I was just wondering, what are the chances of me being able to teach him new tricks being this old and having him go through such a tormented home life until now. I mean, I'm not going crazy with like "Rocky, do a black flip double twist and land with your paws up" kind thing, but I wanna teach him stuff like shake and roll over. He seems to have something with people touching his paws, maybe it's because of the abuse, but I don't know.

Just wanted some advice on if it's even possible. Thanks!

emgerber
Contact Me
My sister adopted a German Shepard that was very badly abused from birth. It was being trained and conditioned to be a killer dog and when the authorities found the dog. He was a holy terror and would attack any body or anything. After many failed attempts to get him adopted a decision was made he would have to be put down but as a last resort they asked my sister who was a German Shepard breeder and trainer and she agreed. It took her 18 months for that dog to even trust her but he settled and became the most loving gentle giant you could imagine. This was a very extreme case but it does show it is possible. Yes with love and gentle training I believe a dog can learn at any age. I have seen happen numerous times.
emgerber
Contact Me
Oh yes by the way I forgot to say welcome aboard. The y are some really knowledgeable people who are active on this web site.
Xninasaurusrex
Contact Me
Well that's good news! I wanted to try and teach him just some basic things, but I didn't know if it was kinda worth it since he's been through so much, but it kind of gives me hope that it's okay to teach him some cool tricks!

And thanks! I'm excited to be here and learn some fun things about all these cute dogs!! :)
emgerber
Contact Me
I am sure you will do wonderful things with your dog. It is always so hard to believe that people do such terrible things to an animal. Dogs only want a pack or family to be part of. I really believe I have learned more from my dog than I have ever taught her.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund