Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Health > Health Concerns > Luxating Patella

Luxating Patella

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
corky95621
Contact Me
Well Sookie will not be doing Agility or Flyball training now that I have discovered she has Luxating Patella in BOTH hind legs. She was hopping when she ran on Sunday and DIDNT want to play fetch which is her FAVORITE thing to do!! I took her to the vet this morning and they all think she has it. I made an appointment on Thursday to see the actual vet so he can determine what it is exactly and how badly it is on the scale. If it is not bad they say she will do fine with moderate exercise and pain meds. I know I CANT afford to have a surgery done on her but I really hate seeing her in pain. Her little sad eyes just kill me. So she is on bed rest till Thursday and she cant be on any furniture anymore. Sookie isnt going to like that since she LOVES sleeping in my bed with me :'( this poor girl is only a year old and has already had a ton of health problems. i just cant imagine the life she had before me.....

emgerber
Contact Me
Oh Courtney, what sad news. Poor little puppy? I do know that if this has to be, you will do everything possible to help Sookie and make her comfortable. Give Sookie a big hug from me and Khia!
corky95621
Contact Me
well i was talking to my manager about sookies luxating patella issue (although he is a bit ignorant when it comes to dogs) he believes that a dog is an unnatural color for its breed that it should be put down and that they ALL will have health issues. i told him merle chihuahuas are natural and they are even shown in AKC. and he proceeded to tell me NO that i was wrong because he had "never seen one" but anyways....he told me that since i work for PetSmart that we get certain deals and discounts through Banfield pet hospital and that if i needed surgery i should take her there. i will find out tomorrow at 9:30 what the outcome will be. i was talking to a customer last night while on register who had 3 rescue chihuahuas (and 2 others waiting in line also had chihuahuas) and she told me that her 8 year old has had luxating patella very moderately and has been totally fine without surgery that she just gives him a pain pill whenever he is feeling down or not acting the same. the lady standing beside her said she was given her chihuahua as a gift and it has already cost her 700 in vet bills. i know chihuahuas are KNOWN for their health problems and i was reading in my chihuahua book that luxating patella is a big issue in chi's and in other toy breeds. luckily she is thin and not overweight cuz if she was fat it would put a lot of strain on her legs. so i have to really watch her weight now.
emgerber
Contact Me
You are going to have to be extra careful with your little girl. The way I look at it is if you had a child you would try your best to address their health concerns and if it is a special need you would learn how to support them and give them a good life. I believe this is what dog owners should be doing for their dogs. I know you will do everything possible for Sookie. After all she is your fur baby. Sookie is just like Khia a member of the family. Keep me posted.
corky95621
Contact Me
Well I am happy to report great news! Sookie does not need surgery!!! she has a VERY mild case of luxating patella mostly in her left leg and her right leg is pretty good. They prescribed me with Metacam to give to her on the days that she is in pain. I also got some hip and joint treats that she gets once daily (300mg) and then I have to pick up some Omega 3 and 6 fatty acid vitamins or a liquid to put on her food. Vet said to go on walks that are UP HILL so that she can build muscle in her hind legs. We are hoping that her luxating patella stays mild and that it doesnt progress. We will see as the years go by I guess.
emgerber
Contact Me
Well this is good new. I wish she did not have this problem but she does. It sounds very manageable. Give Sookie and big hug for Khia and me.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund